Friday, August 12, 2011

A Little High Waisted

Top: Ella Moss via Anthropologie; Skirt: Boutique Event;
Shoes: Carlos by Carlos Santana; Belt: Anthropologie;
Earrings: Ann Taylor; Zipper Bracelet: Jewelmint;
Coin Bracelet: My Mom's; Shades: Prada

I've been reading a lot of fashion blogs lately and most of the ladies I follow are wearing some really adorable skirts, something that's totally lacking in my closet. I wore my Italian villa skirt a week or so ago (seen here) and I do have another cute skirt my mom made, but other than that it's really just dresses and pants. This little skirt is part of a "suit", and when I say suit, I mean it came with a cute sleeveless top that resembles a vest. I purchased it several years ago at a boutique event here in town. That was back when high waisted skirts weren't the current trend. I've always been years ahead of fashion. (That was said with dripping sarcasm. I just buy what I like.)

Anyhoo, the skirt fit! I decided to go sans vest so you could see how flattering a high waisted skirt actually is. For me, it creates the illusion of a much smaller waist, and when a belt is added, it really helps cinch in the whole waist line. I originally thought of pairing it with a plain white tee, but I don't really have a good quality tee anymore. I need to invest! This little lace cami was a huge favorite during my pregnancy. I think I wore it more then than I ever had before! (Seen here and here.)

I love this coral belt. I saw a similar version that was much thinner, but they didn't have my size. So glad too because this version can be paired with so many more things. Another great thing about this skirt is the extra long belt loops. I love how my belt is playing peek-a-boo all around my waist!


I didn't add a lot of jewelry yesterday. I let the belt and shoes do the talking. I did, however, really want to wear my zipper bracelet. This is a new piece I ordered from Jewelmint. The picture online didn't do it justice. I noticed yesterday that along the zipper teeth there are tiny black crystals and if you look closely, you can see them in a tiny row just above the actual zipper. What a great attention to detail. This is also came in silver, but I felt like the bronze was more authentic to an actual zipper.


These shoes have been in my closet forever and I honestly thought about giving them up when cleaning out shoes this spring. So glad they made the cut! How perfect are they with that coral belt? There is something so 70s about them. Actually, that 70s vibe is what drew me to them in the first place. And, I love pairing them with bootcut jeans. It's fun to see the different colors peaking out from the bell of the jean.


Is there something you feel that's missing in your closet? Are you heavy on pants and not dresses? Too many skirts and not enough tops? I really need to take inventory of my items and weed out what I have too many of and replace with items that will make for a well rounded closet. Not sure if that will ever happen, but it sounds like an amazing plan!



1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I saw this deal on "Groopdealz" (similar to Groupon, but they usually have cute accessories or gift ideas). Immediately thought of your bracelet! http://www.groopdealz.com/index/view-deal/side_deal_id/323

Loving all your spring/summer looks. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the fall!!