Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Short List of No-Scrimp Items

There are times when you want to save a few bucks on beauty items or clothing but there are certain times where money should be no object. Below is my short list of No-Scrimp items.


1) Hair Color - When I first discovered grays, I was horrified! How could a woman in her early 30s have that many grays? I decided to take matters into my own hands and color my hair from a box. I did that for a couple of years but I found that I could never find the right shade and the grays came back in less than a month. I won a gift certificate for a professional hair color/styling at a silent auction and I’m so glad I did. I have been getting my hair colored by Lisa at Michael Shae Salon every since. The color is perfect and it lasts over three months. Although the cost is $75, divided over three months that’s only $25 a month. I feel like I’m stretching my dollars and not spending money every month to color my hair on my own.


2) Hair Cut - It’s like the old saying, “you get what you pay for” and it’s so true! I’ve had my hair cut at Super Cuts, and other cheaper “salons”, and it showed. Having curly hair, I need someone who knows how to cut it properly and I’ve found her! I’ve been going to Amanda at Mario Tricoci for at least 10 years and I so hope she never leaves! She’s totally worth the money. I get a fantastic hair cut that lasts 6-8 weeks or more. What’s even better, I’ve made a friend! Need a hairstylist, let me know. I have recommended Amanda to several friends and she is now their go-to stylist as well.


3) Bras - After my bra fitting at Nordstrom, I will never scrimp on a cheap bra again! I used to only be a Victoria Secret shopper but I just don’t get the same fit. It’s not just the actual bra fit, but the way it fits under your tops. Your tops glide over the bra leaving a seamless look. My favorite brand is Wacoal but I also really like Chantelle Intimates. But don’t take it from me. Go and have a fitting yourself. You won’t be sorry and you won’t want to buy a cheap bra ever again!


4) Cleansers - I have been a faithful Clinique user since the age of 18 and probably will be for life. My morning regimen consists of their three-step program which includes facial soap for normal to oily skin, level three clarifying lotion and Dramatically Different Moisturizer in a gel form for oily skin. This three-step program is repeated at night, however, I am not one to follow it every evening. There are times when I need a faster alternative and that’s when I turn to the Olay Daily Facial Express cloths. If you are looking for an effective facial cleanser, I will always recommend Clinique. If you want something that’s a little lighter on the wallet, I would recommend the Olay line. Their Regenerist products are geared toward those of us with aging skin, helping it look and feel more youthful. 


5) Styling Tools - Your hair is your main attraction…no pun intended. Take care of the hair you have because as we get older it begins to thin, become brittle, and in some cases, will fall out completely. If you are anything like me and rely on a straightner, invest in a good one. I’ve used the cheap ones and invested in a Chi a couple of years ago and I can see the difference. The cheap ones fried my ends and only created frizz. The Chi gives a smooth finish, without burnt ends, and has saved my hair. Same applies for blow-dryers. I don’t blow dry my hair very often, but if I did, I would invest in one that has the Tourmaline technology. Tourmaline is a semi-precious gem that gives off ionic energy when heated. It gives your hair a frizz free finish, something we all want in the end. Trust me, spend the money. You will see the difference. Also, always use product before using any styling tool. The products are there to protect your hair from the effects of heat. 

No comments: