Monday, October 7, 2013

DIY - Metallic Silver Oxfords

I blogged a couple of weeks ago about the metallic trend and how it's still going strong for fall. Within that post, I featured a pair of silver oxfords on J.Crew and I have been obsessed with getting a pair. I love the shiny edge to such a classic shoe. 

 
J.Crew also overs a super cute Penny Loafer version, another iconic shoe with a trendy twist.
 
 
And than I started thinking.... I have a pair of nude slip-on Steve Madden oxfords that I was going to sell. Why don't I spray paint those silver and make my own pair of oxfords. I would be saving myself money but still getting the pair I've been dying to have!

Here is what you'll need:

Slip-On Oxfords
Spray Paint
Clear Sealer
Black Sharpie
Masking Tape
Cardboard
Newspaper
Plastic Gloves 
 

 Start by taping off the soles all the way around the shoe. Take off the tassels and tape off the small piece across the shoes. Place newspaper inside the shoes so you don't spray the insides! You don't want silver all over your feet and socks do you? 
 


Take the cardboard and shoes into a well ventilated area. I chose the backyard, but you can use your garage or basement. Just make sure you have it ventilated! Start spraying! Make sure you apply several even coats and get in all the nooks and crannies! Once dry, apply the clear sealer so that your paint doesn't crack upon wearing.
 

For the tassels, I've really been brainstorming on how to get them black. Spray paint, RIT dye, fabric paint? After much consideration, I went for a black Sharpie! (Photos not shown) Just apply several rounds of black marker until you get the desired color and the original doesn't show through!
 
Once everything is completely dry, remove tap and re-add the tassels.

All I was out was spray paint and sealer for a total cost of roughly $10! I am digging DIY projects! I feel like I'm transforming my closet, making it trendy without spending tons of money for something that won't be around long! Want to see how I styled them? Stay tuned.....

No comments: