Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday Beauty - A Smokey Eye

 Over the weekend I attempted my first smokey eye. I've read about how to apply them over and over and over again, yet I've always been so fearful of trying. That is until I purchased the Clinique All About Shadow Quad in Smoke and Mirrors. It literally has a step by step guide on the mirror and corresponding numbers on the shadow liner. They even number the sponge applicators that are included. Now, I'm not an applicator kind of girl. I use brushes and have for years. I feel the shadows go on a lot smoother and it's easier to apply more or less color when needed or desired. In my opinion, the sponge applicators just seem to soak up the shadow. 

In the first photo, you will see all the tools I used (they are what I use on a daily basis), and I will touch on how I used them during the application process. This really is the easiest smokey eye you can ever do!


I have my quad, all of my brushes, my concealer, my MAC paint, mascara, and Clinique primer. Did you know that Clinique made a primer? Me either and more on that in a different post.
 
First up, I always, always, always use a primer on my lids. ALWAYS! It just highlights the shadow and doesn't allow it to settle into the crease after a full day of wear. Honestly, if you aren't using one today, you should be! I swear by the MAC paints.


Here's the quad and your step by step guide. Just apply the shadow where the diagram indicates. So easy!!

 
 
Apply the highlight color to just below the brow bone and just to the top of your crease. I used a flat wide brush when applying my highlighter.

 

For step number two, use a fluffier tipped brush to really get in the crease. One important tip, wherever you apply the shadow is where it will be its heaviest. I try to shoot for just off the corner of the crease and blend out and in from there. If you're using the sponge applicator, go light at first and add more as needed!!

  

Use the same brush for step number 3 and start applying from the inside corner of the crease and blend toward the center.



Once you have applied both steps 2 and 3, go back in with a fluffy blending brush to combine. You don't want to see definitive lines from where you started and stopped both shadows. Work in a circular motion while blending.


Step four is the eyeliner shadow. I love a shadow liner and I've used one for as long as I can remember. You have complete control over how much, or how little, you use at one time. And, it goes on so much easier than an eyeliner stick. Use a small angle brush to apply. (If you are using the applicator, apply using just the tip.)


I load up the brush and start from the dead center of my eye and work my way to the outer corner. I work with tiny brush strokes as I go. Almost like I'm connecting dots. Reload the brush with more shadow as needed. Once I have the line I want, I reload my brush and then start from the inner corner of my and apply to the middle.




For a smokey eye, line both the top and bottom lash lines. For the bottom, I start at the outer corner, staying as close to the lash line as I possibly can, and go to just past the center of my eye. Blend, blend blend! You don't want to see your bottom lash line liner!

Then load up your lashes with your fav mascara. I've been using Maybelline Great Lash for about a month, not a fan, so for this look I went with Clinique's High Impact Mascara. A new mascara, a sample provided by Clinique, that I'm currently testing. 

I am one who hates to see spider eyes, think Tammy Faye Baker, so I go back in with a mascara brush to smooth out any clumps that have formed. Plus, I try to make them as full as possible.


 And here is the final look!


When going with a heavy eye, keep everything else light. I went for a very light, sheer blush, and nude lip. You want only one thing to shine in this look and that's the eye! For my cheeks, I used Stila Convertible Color in Lillium. For my lips, I used Chanel lipstick Rouge Coco in Sycomore and gloss #237.

What do you think of a smokey eye? As intimidating as you thought it would be, or easy as pie with the help of this Clinique quad? Other brands that offer this kind of shadow are L'Oreal, Maybelline, and Revlon. Great drugstore brands that won't break the bank! 

I can't wait to hear your stories! Share them with all of us!

Happy Friday, Beauties!

No comments: