Saturday, February 14, 2015

Saturday Morning Chatter - What is Love?

It's Valentine's Day, loves! What are you all doing to celebrate the big day of love? Are you spending it with a spouse, partner, or significant other? Making it a Galentine's Day? Whatever it is you're doing, I hope it's filled with everything love! And maybe a box of chocolates.

When I think of love, I think about my family, Starbuck's, chocolate, champagne, and shoes. Always shoes! My love of shoes runs so deep, I have no room for them all! I also think of romantic comedies and romance novels. Those crazy stories of love lost, love obtained, and love ever after. Much like the love that's always flowing on the Bachelor/Bachelorette series! Seriously, who finds love in a month? And, who finds it on bear skin rugs with roaring fires behind them. As my girlfriend and I love to say, "Nothing says love like a box of wine and space heater." That true love, my friend, true love!

But again, I digress. I do that a lot. Back to those romance novels. When I was growing up, the Sweet Valley High series was all the rage! Who didn't love reading about the trials and tribulations of Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield. Those gorgeous, blonde, California twins with their golden, sun-kissed skin. They literally referenced that in EVERY book! Jessica liked to play the field while Elizabeth was holding steady with Todd Wilkins. I must have read those books over and over. Jessica the trouble maker and Elizabeth the brain. What those girls didn't get into together, or should I say what Jessica got into and what Elizabeth did to help/fix/rescue. Fun fact, I still own them!  I think I have up to volume twenty, but I will need to confirm. They're still great reads, even as an adult. And if I had a daughter, I would definitely pass them down to her.

So for your reading pleasure, an excerpt from something I am playing around with. Nothing concrete, but kind of fun at the same time. A little real life/a little make believe.  

Is there such a thing as love at first sight? Do we only get one chance at love? Can you fall in love more than one time in your life? These are questions Alexandra asked herself often. She wasn’t sure she believed in love at all, but there had to be answers, right? There were always answers. The first time she “fell in love” she was 13. A silly crush on a boy that didn’t know she even existed. But does anyone know what love is at 13? Sure. You love your parents, love a pet, even love your favorite doll, but does anyone know what love is at such a young age? The second time she fell in love, she fell hard. 

 At seventeen, Alexandra was living the life of most average teenager girls. Passing notes during class or in the hall with her best friend Emma. Giggling over the phone during nightly calls to talk about the notes you passed during the day. Agonizing over the perfect outfit for the next day and wondering if anyone will remember that you wore something similar the week before. And never really looking over your homework for the next day because that would totally eat into your social life. Aside from girlfriends, fashion, and the occasional studying, Alexandra was all consumed by her love of ballet. She took class several days a week, danced with the ballet school’s student company, and tried her best to maintain a competitive edge among the other girls. For Alexandra, life was good.

Who knows what this is or if it will amount to anything at all. It's been fun though. Trying to think like a teenager, especially a teen in this day and age, has been a challenge. However, I can't imagine that my inner teen isn't all that far removed. But I will love finding out!

Have a great weekend all!

 

No comments: