Sunday, March 20, 2011

Casual Yet Chic


Tunic/Dress: Laundry by Design via Saks Fifth Avenue; T-Shirt: Target; Jeans: Gap Maternity; Shoes: Jessica Simpson via Macy’s; Necklace: Banana Republic


Friday evening my sweet girlfriends threw me a baby shower and it was so lovely! When I asked one of the co-hosts what she was wearing, the shower was immediately after work, she stated probably jeans. In a joking tone, she said “it’s casual yet chic”! I was releaved! I knew I was working from home and didn’t want to get terribly dressed up after a day of sweats. However, I had such a hard time with the casual yet chic theme. If I weren’t pregnant, I would have broken out skinny jeans, a fun top and heels. But, my maternity tops aren’t fun, my feet are too swollen to get into a pair of heels so all I had was my skinny jeans.


I then remembered this sparkly tunic/dress that I purchased during a styling event at Saks Fifth Avenue in NY several years ago. I wasn’t sure if it would stretch over my bump, but it actually still had a loose fit and didn’t hug in that inappropriate Hollywood way. It was a tad chilly on Friday and I knew I would freeze with cap sleeves so I decided to add a very thin, black tee. Skinny jeans were the obvious choice, but I did toy with the idea of wearing black leggings. That’s always an option for later.  



Even thought the top had a hint of sparkle, I needed a little something at the neck. This darling Banana Republic necklace has never been worn and what better occassion to bust it out! Inspired by broaches, I’ve decided this is a DIY project that I’m going to tackle. As for my shoes, I wasn’t sure if these satin flats with rhinestones would compete with the necklace, but with them being on the back of the shoe and far away from the necklace, I think it was fine.



All in all, I really liked the look and felt chic the entire evening. I’m also finding new ways to wear older pieces either during my pregnancy or later. This tunic/dress has only been out on the town one other time and that’s a shame! I need to make sure I wear it more often in the future.


What do you think? Did I meet the mark for casual yet chic?


 

No comments: