Monday, March 4, 2013

A Black Tie Affair

At the end of the month, my husband and I are attending a wedding. The wedding is taking place at 8:00 on a Saturday night, not sure how in the world we will ever stay awake that late, and it's black tie. I've never attended a black tie anything so I don't currently own anything so fancy. I've been searching some of my favorites designers for ideas and so far the list is racking up! I don't want to wear a gown so I'm going more for the cocktail look. I'm thinking of adding fancy jewels and shoes to up the look. 

This lace dress from Joie is simply lovely. A chic approach to cocktail and timeless in design. I love the sleeve length and modest neckline but the hemline is a little daring for me! I would style this dress with a sleek updo, drop earrings, a simple bracelet and amazing shoes.


I adore this updo that Rachel Weisz wore to the Oscars. Gorgeous and perfect for my curly hair. I love these earrings from Kate Spade and they could be worn with many other looks.

 

These shoes are a dream shoe but one can blog about such things when you are styling on cyberspace, right? If only....


Who doesn't love sequins? A dazzling option from Rachel Zoe that adds a little glitz to my evening look. For this dress, I might go with a professional blow out that would call for volume. Because the sleeves are so long and the hemline so short, a cocktail ring would be the accessory of choice. And, I believe Rachel Zoe has one available through her Luxe line on QVC.

 

And since we're talking all things Rachel, let's just recreate this hairstyle. Easy, gorgeous and perfect for the look I'm going for in my head!


This dress by Milly is gorgeous! I love the sheer neckline and paillette sequins in deep blues. Because it's such a statement on its own, I would keep everything simple. A modern updo, minimal jewelry and pumps.


I love this updo that I did myself for a dinner at the Bellagio in Vegas. I definitely think it would work with this dress. 


I would wear a small drop earring like these from Banana Republic. A simple peep toe pump is all you need. I just happen to have these Valentino pumps in red and could use the black as well!


 
 Finally, this BCBG jumpsuit literally jumped off my monitor when I saw it! At first glance I thought it wasn't appropriate at all for a black tie anything. But I kept going back to it. And when I showed it to my mom she told me I had to have it! SOLD! And when I say sold, I mean it. I purchased this little number, on sale, and got the last one in my size. I am leaning heavily toward this look but have the Joie and Milly dress in my "Save for Later" checkout on Piperlime. I know it's not "black tie" but if you look closely at it, I really think I can pull it off. Here's how:

An amazing updo is a must. With the dramatic one shoulder cut, I don't want to lose that detail. The drape is stunning. As is the color. And, the shape of the whole jumpsuit is just as flowy as a gown. Can you see it now?
 
 

 I would add amazing pieces of jewelry. A dangle earring and possibly a cuff at the wrist. Shoes are a must! I'm thinking of the following...

Jennifer Lawrence's updo from this years Oscars is perfection!


I would double up on this bracelet from Ann Taylor and these linear earrings, also from Ann Taylor, are amazing as well.


 I love these Stuart Weitzman shoes! They come in silver which is the color I think I prefer.


Have you ever attended anything black tie? If you were going to a wedding of this magnitude, which look would you chose? I love them all!

Photo of Rachel Weisz courtesy of Falcone.
Photo of Rachel Zoe courtesy of Loving You.
Photo of Jennifer Lawrence courtesy of LA Times.

1 comment:

The Marcy Stop said...

LOVE that jumpsuit! Such great looks, good luck deciding which to go with
xL

Check out our NiftyThrifty coat giveaway!