Friday, June 1, 2012

The Caftan

Have you ever been obsessed with something so much that you constantly search for it until you get it? No? Just me? It happens to me all the time. Take for instance the sequin belt that Gap carried years ago when Sarah Jessica Parker was their celebrity spokesperson. Do you remember the ads? She wore a cardigan, un-bottoned and instead draped to the side and pinned with a broach. Don't remember?


Anyway, there were these sequin tie belts from Gap that I was obsessed with finding. I literally called small town stores, thinking they would have them over larger markets, and finally found them somewhere in Mississippi! Don't mess with this girl when she is on a mission! And, I still have those belts today!

So what is my latest obsession? CAFTANS! I don't own one, but I'm dying to find the perfect one to add to my wardrobe. They are so 70s chic, perfect for hiding all of my flaws and can be worn for day or evening. And, they would make a perfect cover-up at the pool or beach. (Man how I wish we lived near the/a beach!) I've searched the internet high and low but just can't find the right one. Tori Spelling provided a template on her site, ediTORIal and I've sent that to my mom for review. If we find the right fabric, it is on our list of of things to do. Rachel Zoe featured one last night on QVC and I'm on the fence. It's a darling leopard print version, but I really want one in bright colors. I'm thinking I might just need to create my own pattern, scour the fabric stores and start mass producing this bad boy! 



 What is a caftan you might ask? According to Wikipedia, it is "a front-buttoned coat or overdress, usually reaching to the ankles, with long sleeves. It can be made of wool, cashmere, silk, or cotton." I think of it as a dress and I envision mine with short sleeves or maybe sleeveless. A one shoulder version, like the one above, would look amazing as well. 

I would style it with gobs of jewelry, sandals, very little makeup and my hair off my face. Can't you just see me now? Hopefully, you will sooner rather than later as I'm dying to make this obsession a reality!




Gap Photo courtesy of KPFusion.
Tori Spelling Photo courtesy of ediTORIal.
Simplicity Pattern Photo courtesy of The Love Collage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this web page, i am visiting
this web site dailly and obtain nice information from
here all the time.

Here is my blog post: SociSynd search engine optimization ()