Thursday, June 7, 2012

Another Home Improvement Project

I can't believe that my husband and I have lived in our house for ten years! We moved in over Memorial Day weekend and got married in November of that same year. I love my house! Always have! From the minute we drove into the driveway, I knew it was ours. A true fixer upper, we started full steam ahead the second we moved in! My husband thought I was crazy for wanting this house, but after it was finished, he finally saw why I wanted it so badly! 

Now, after ten years, I'm ready to make some changes. When we first moved in, I always viewed our house as a starter home. We would fix it up, but probably not stay in it for long. So, we painted the walls cream and the trim white. Very neutral. I learned from parents, after years of fixing up a house and then moving states, you paint a house colors that anyone can move in to and decorate with their belongings. Well, after eight years, I decided to throw caution to the wind, and throw some color on the walls!

We started with the kitchen, a year or two ago. It was a bland khaki that did nothing for the space. I had always dreamed of a red kitchen so I just went for it. My husband went along with me, hating the color idea from the start.  Ends up, he really likes the end result. Just this year we updated the rest of the kitchen with new countertops, a Subway tile backsplash and new appliances. I even talked him into a new kitchen table! Thus began my need to redo other rooms in the house! 

Before


 After

 

So, now I'm in the throws of "what do I take on next"? I'm thinking our bedroom could use an update. We went from beige to a warm gold to compliment the current bedding. My mother made us a quilt as a wedding gift, however, I'm ready for a change.
 
 I purchased the Anya eight piece floral bedding from Target. But, upon its arrival, we found that the queen could actually fit a full bed! It didn't even come down the sides of the mattress. Super disappointed!
So I've totally switched gears and I'm looking into gray but leaving the "yellow" to the walls. I found a neutral set at Macy's and already have it on order. 

Hotel Collection - Modern Block

   And from bedding we move into accessories! I have to the right table lamps and other accents for the room. It truly snowballs!

 What inspires you to do spruce up a room? Is it from a magazine, browsing online or just sheer want for something new? I think our house, unless we move sometime soon, will be in constant transition! I'm a girl who loves change!

2 comments:

The Marcy Stop said...

As someone who just moved this post definitely speaks to me. I'm now under MAJOR decoration mode. But it's like starting from scratch!
Really liking your blog, now following you on GFC and Bloglovin to keep up!
xx, micol

http://www.themarcystop.blogspot.com

Style My Way said...

Thanks so much for the sweet response and for following the blog! Will keep you posted on the room situation! Hitting up Home Goods this weekend!