Thursday, July 28, 2011

Color Block Attempt

Dress: Ann Taylor Loft; Belt: Anthropologie; Shoes: Nine West
Handbag: Kate Spade via Nordstrom; Jewelry: Silpada

I am still trying to figure out how to color block, and since I'm finding it to be a little difficult, I'm taking baby steps! If you want a master class, check out Kendi Everyday or What I Wore. These gals get it right every time!

I purchased this dress over the spring, while still pregnant with McKinley, so I guessed that a medium would fit. It does and I love that its a tad roomy! WOOT! With that being said, that's how this color block attempt came to light. Because there was some room to play with (I didn't like looking thicker than I really am) I decided to belt the dress. At first I tried a thin metalic belt but I felt it was too thin. I needed something with a little more width. Unsure of how the coral would look with the peach and gray, I decided to give it a try. As you can see, I liked the result. The coral is just a darker version of the peach, which is what color blocking is all about, so I moved on.


The shoe choice was a little trickier. I don't have coral or peach shoes, but even if I did, I didn't want to look too matchy. With the cream stripe throughout the dress, I reached for several cream shoes and landed on these. I like the matte leather, versus the patent leather nudes I own, and it continues that color block. Plus, the cute patent handbag was all the shine I needed.


I love the neckline on this dress. The asymetrical cut, draped neck and gathered shoulder add such amazing detail.

Again, my attempt at color blocking was somewhat a simple approach, but I am going to work on it and really master the look. Do you like the trend? It is something you will try for the fall?

1 comment:

Tina Morrison said...

I don't really get what color blocking is, but I LOVE this look! I really love that you don't need a lot of jewelry with the dress - the neckline is so pretty. The belt really pops.
I want that purse! It looks like it would also work as a small diaper bag for short trips. (I tend to carry only a diaper bag or a purse - never both.)