Monday, May 6, 2013

What's in a Scent - A Beauty Post

 What's in a scent? Everything, really! To me, a scent can be related to a memory, a new beginning or because the bottle was too pretty not to purchase! I wear a different scent almost every day. Some scents are meant for winter, some for spring, and some scents can be worn all year long.  My mom is great about giving me a new perfume every year for Christmas and she knows just the notes I love. I am girl who is not a fan of floral scents. Instead, I favor Musk, Vanilla, Jasmine, Amber and Sandalwood.

As you can see from the photos below, I have a pretty large array of pefumes. However, I can honestly say I wear every single one of them. I mentioned earlier that I wear a new scent almost daily and I base my scent around what I think I might wear. For instance, if I'm wearing blues or purples, I tend to wear either Calvin Klein Euphoria or Dolce & Gabbana La Roue de Fortune. They're blueish/purple in color and have, what I consider, a heavier scent. I know that sounds silly, but that's what I do. If I'm feeling a little Bohemian or 70s, I reach for Gucci Guilty or Burberry. 

 I don't have a lot to chose from in the summer months. I generally go with Ralph Lauren Romance or Viktor Rolf Flowerbomb. They are very light even though they contain my beloved Jasmine, Sandalwood and Musk. I hope to add Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue to my collection. That scent is the epitome of summer!


 One of my newest scents is Balenciaga Paris. It is a perfect all year round scent. And, it's one I wear when I'm feeling particularly fancy! There's something about the word Paris that makes you feel fancy! Another scent that I adore, but don't wear very often is Hanae Mori. My friend Jennifer always smells amazing and this perfume is one of her favs as well. Or at least it was at the time! Below is a pic of my recent addition to the new bathroom. (Yes, we need to do some touch up to the stripes but overlook that for now.) I felt like some of my bottles were too pretty to be behind closed doors so now I have them on display on the back the commode. And, a great way to add decor and not break the bank!


Lastly, this post would not be complete without talking about my signature scent. I'm not sure if everyone has a signature scent, but they should. You know, that scent you go to for special occasions, when you are feeling especially pretty, when you need a little pick me up or because it's a Tuesday morning. That scent for me is Chanel No. 5. My grandmother gave me a tiny sample when I was just a little girl and it's been the scent I've used for as long as I can remember! These three bottles are on display in my bathroom as well, but I reserved them for a special shelf below my mirror. Actually, the bottle above is my grandmother's! 

According to Wikipedia, so take it for what its worth, "Chanel felt the time was right for the debut of a scent that would epitomize the modern flapper that would speak to the liberated spirit of the 1920s". If that's the case, this scent is who I am in a bottle. A liberated spirit, a modern female and a girl who just loves Chanel!


What about your perfume? Do you have a collection of scents like me or just one that you wear every day because you don't need anything else? Do you buy based on the bottle or the notes attached to the scent? I am one to enter a perfume section, free of lotions and other perfumes, sniff testers until I find something I'm interested in and then spritz away! That's really the only true way you know if something will smell great. If it doesn't mix with your body chemistry, no need to buy it! 

Editors note: Nordstrom is the BEST place to try out perfumes. If you find the one you like, and aren't quite ready to commit, they will provide you with a sample. The simply spray it into a sample atomizer and it's yours to take home! I love that kind of customer service. 

1 comment:

ClosetConfections said...

I have a rotation of 4-5 perfumes that I switch between based on season and time of day. I like to test new fragrances by spritzing them on, leaving the store for a bit, and seeing how they smell on me 30 minutes to an hour later.

Kendra
http://closetconfections.com