Thursday, May 16, 2013

Trench Twist


Dress: Ann Taylor (old); Scarf: Ralph Lauren (old); Shoes: Jimmy Choo;
Sunnies: Prada (gift); Bangles: Jessica Simpson/Fossil, Earrings: Ann Taylor (old)
 
This dress is a dress I've had forever! I would say it's at least five years old, if not older. I haven't worn it in forever because, well, it didn't fit! So happy to just give it the old college try on! What I love about the dress is that it's a classic, timeless design. Want to know why? Because it's a take on the traditional trench coat which has been a wardrobe staple since it's creation!
 
This dress made me feel a little Parisian, and when I think of Parisian woman, I think of scarves. Maybe it's the movies but they always seem to be wearing a scarf! This is not the new way of wearing scarves, but the 14 year old way of wearing scarves. After I graduated from college, I worked retail for several years. I started working for Harold's in 1996 and this is how everyone wore their scarves at the time. Actually, this was the first scarf I ever purchased! I love the soft colors, the subtle floral design and the feminitity that it brings.
 
I have to admit I was a little hesitant to wear it like this. Since it's not "on-trend" I felt silly for going back in the fashion vault of how I've worn things. Funny that I thought that because today over at What I Wore, Jessica eluded to somewhat the same thing regarding her look from today. I, we, must ask ourselves, why is that we get dressed everyone morning? For work or for leisure? Why do I, we, feel that we have to conform to a look that seems to be standard among fashion magazines? Because I, we, blog we feel we might be held to a different standard of fashion? Isn't fashion subjective?
 
 If we are blogging about our personal style, shouldn't that style be what we personally feel looks good on us, reflect who we are and makes us feel good? I tend to try too hard in getting dressed sometimes because I want my readers to think I'm fashion forward or trendy or a trend-setter. That the looks I wear and photograph are looks that they too should try at home, but that's not being true to either me or you! With that said, I will continue to look to the future of fashion, but will still rely on the things that I think are fashionable. It could be something that's out six months from now or a look I sported six years ago.
 
In the meantime....take a look at my Parisian self on a very windy Kansas afternoon!
 
 
 
 



 
Happy Thursday! MUAH!



No comments: