Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Carrie Diaries - Fashion Then and Now

I am an enormous fan of Sex and the City, along with every other woman in the world, so when The Carrie Diaries debuted I was a skeptic. I mean, did we really need the back story to Carrie? We knew all we needed to know from the original. A writer who loved her city and the men in it! And the fashion! OMG, the fashion!

Again, I was against The Carrie Diaries, until I tuned in one day on Hulu. Now I'm hooked! I don't set my DVR for the show, it's working overtime as is, but I do watch it faithfully every week on Hulu. I don't agree 100% with the back story of Carrie. It just doesn't match up, but I'm willing to overlook it because the story line is so real. A teenage girl who's falling in love for the first time, falling in love with NY, falling in love with fashion and finding her place in the world. Who can't relate? And the soundtrack! I'm totally re-living my youth with the music. And the fashion! Such a flashback to all the things I listened to and wore in the 80s! 

I started thinking about the 80s and how they play in today's fashion world. Based on the wardrobe that young Carrie is wearing on the show, it totally applies to today's trends. Here's how.

A denim jacket is a closet essential and colored denim is all the rage! I love how they styled this look! I am a huge fan of dresses paired with denim jackets. Oh, and look at the caged sandals! Another trend in shoes this spring!


Between Carrie and Larissa, where do I start? Let's look at Carrie's ensemble. First off, the knit cap. A piece sported by the Rachel Zoe, and so many others, and a piece I own several of actually. Great for a bad hair day! And what girl doesn't own the classic trench? Everyone should. For Larissa, animal print and so many pieces of it! I love it! A bold statement necklace just adds to the look.


An adorable bunny sweater? Why, didn't I wear an adorable duck sweater this fall? Yes, I did!

 

I swear, this is a look straight off my blog from this past winter! Statement winter coat, check. Distressed jeans, check. Tall boots over distressed jeans, check. And a scarf to top it all off!


A statement bag goes a long way. This is what happened after her sister spilled paint on their mother's handbag. Carrie made it her own. I believe this is a DIY project in the making!


 As the saying goes "Everything old is new again" and isn't it so true with anything from the 80s? It always seems to come back around, doesn't it? Leggings? I remember wearing them with long sweaters and flats. Neon? I had a belt that snapped together in pieces and the pieces were neon yellow, green, pink and orange. High top tennis shoes? They are back and wedged! Why didn't I hold on to that stuff from my youth? One, I'm not a hoarder. Two, I'm not a fortune teller to be able to see that far into the future. And three, I'm pretty sure I couldn't pull it off today.

If you haven't tuned into the show, it's truly worth it if only for the trip down memory lane and a really great soundtrack of our youth! Oh, and for the amazing talent of stylist Eric Daman of Gossip Girl fame!

Images of The Carrie Diaries:
Photo One: Television Blog
Photo Two: Elle UK
Photo Three: Crushable
Photo Four: Star Plus
Photo Five: The Digitalists

No comments: