Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Style My Way is Dressing McKinley

I know this isn't a post about a daily outfit that I've worn recently. However, it is about daily outfits that my son wears, and in reality, isn't that an extension of me? I dress him so therefore I consider myself his stylist. I receive a lot of comments about how I dress my son. I hear things like, "How could he not be a stylish baby?" "He dresses better than I do." And, "Where do you get most of his clothes?" Dressing a boy, in my opinion, shouldn't be any different than a mother dressing up her little girl. He should be just as cute and stylish! This is the time where I can dress him how I want before he starts making those decisions on his own. Yes, I will "guide" him in some of his choice, but right now it's completely in my hands!

I get his clothes from a large variety of retailers. Target, Gymboree, Baby Gap, Carters and Nordstrom are my usual go-tos. My favorite lines are Mini Boden and Polo. I put him in Joe's Jeans for dressier occasions, but for every day wear, I'm loving these Oshkosh jeans carried by Target! And overalls! Don't get me started on how much I love seeing little boys in overalls! Again, Oshkosh is one of my favs! 

I love adding accessories to McKinley's looks! Like hats, for instance. I love putting McKinley in hats! Baseball hats, Fedoras, buckets and caps are all adorable and he owns one of each...if not more! My thought it is, if you can wear a hat, do it! This goes for adults too! Cute little jackets, Converse tennies and TOMS are just a few other items I add to his ever expanding wardrobe. I tend to go over board, at times, and I'm trying to be mindful of how much I purchase. However, he's not growing out of things as quickly as he did when he was a baby! Right now, I'm purchasing 2T and they are pretty roomy. He will have plenty of time to grow into them. 

Below you will find some of my favorite looks to date. I have to say, he is a pretty stylish two year old and why shouldn't he be!

This is one of my all time favorite looks! He wore this to Crown Center over the holidays for a lunch date with me and Meme. This is a one piece outfit and I loved that it was a cable knit sweater! He lived in this because 1) it's adorable and 2) it was warm! Normally, I would have paired this with his lace up brown shoes, but his foot out grew them so I opted for brown tennies. This type of hat is my favorite look for him. His Granddaddy has worn one for as long as I can remember and I think he's pretty stylish in his own right.

 Cable Knit One Piece: Gap; Hat: Janie and Jack; Shoes: Stride Rite

 Easter weekend was amazing! The weather was perfect! We hadn't had spring like temps in so long that we took full advantage of outdoor activities. Good Friday took McKinley, Meme and I to the Plaza for lunch and a stroll to see the "amals" along the streets. This is a yearly tradition on the Plaza and I can't wait to take McKinley down there every year. He loved all the animals, but the "bumby" was his favorite. 

Because it's finally spring, I was all about color for this particular outing. Real men wear pink! And, he looks amazing in this raspberry hue. I am a big fan of gray and pink together and this hat completes the look.

Sweater: Carters; Shirt: Target; Jeans: Target; Shoes: Sperry Top-Siders via Stride Rite;
Cap: Target

Easter Sunday was a little cooler than expected. I opted for a long sleeved button down in pastels paired with a cream cable knit sweater for warmth.


He started the day off with a seersucker cap, but with the wind, he ended up in a stocking cap to protect his ears. (Wind may or may not be responsible for ear infections, but I wasn't taking my chances!) I love that it looks like McKinley is showing off his new kicks, Sperry Top-Siders, but in actuality he's doing the Hokey Pokey. 

Sweater: Gap (last season); Shirt: Polo (no longer avail); Jeans: Carters;
 Shoes: Sperry Top-Siders via Stride Rite; Stocking Cap: Target (last season) Cap above: Target


 For his second birthday, I wanted him to look cute but still be comfortable. I knew he would play with the toys he received and you can't be confined by clothing when playing! I am big fan of sweater vests, my husband lives in them as well, and how cute does he look! A large check button down with matching navy sweater and jeans (the Oshkosh's mentioned above) is a perfect casual look that still has that dressy aspect for special occasions.

Sweater Vest: Gymboree; Shirt: Target; Jeans: Target; Shoes: Stride Rite
 
  These were taken over the weekend. The hooded pullover was a gift for his birthday and I love the cheery color! The Oshkosh jeans, I seriously need more than two, paired with a cute cap and sneaks is the epitome of little boy play wear.

 Shirt: Gap; Jeans: Target; Shoes: Stride Rite; Onesie: Gerber; Cap: Target

 If you're a mother of a little guy like me, do you dress him up? Do you plan his looks on a daily basis? I firmly believe there is no reason why little boys shouldn't look as cute as little girls of the same age. And mine will always look this cute! That's a fashion promise!

No comments: