Monday, February 4, 2013

Fashion, 1968 and Rachel Zoe


This weekend the revival of HAIR is coming to town and I am so excited! I've seen the movie, but there is just something about live theater! HAIR, written in the time of the late 1960s at the height of the Vietnam War, is about hippies protesting the war while living among "free love", in short. Aside from the iconic songs in the show, what I'm most excited about it is the costumes! This is a style that I love and identify with the most!

I've been thinking about what to wear, in an homage to the show, but I want to keep it chic. Do I go mod or hippie? I don't want to look like a walking billboard or that I'm wearing a costume. I don't want to go casual as I am a full believer that when you attend the theater you attend in style! So, how do I incorporate 2013 clothing into something dressy/BOHO chic?

When talking to my mom about what she wore in 1968, her response was "I owned a lot of shift dresses, skirts and sweater sets. I had a long sleeved, black, pinstripe dress with leather collar and cuffs with self-belt." She made the transition to bell bottoms, jumpsuits and tall boots around l969 or '70. An enviable closet that I would love to have today! My mom was so chic!

For a modern take on the late 60s/early 70s, I am also inspired by Rachel Zoe and her amazing way of creating BOHO looks that are always on trend, always sophisticated and can be worn day or night. Here are just a few of my favorites.



 So, how do I recreate these looks with pieces from my closet? And, how can I make them work for the show on Saturday? (I should mention that we have matinee tickets which makes a difference in how dressy I will go.) It's all about finding the right piece, layering and adding the perfect accessories. From the photos above my must-haves are: a maxi dress, wide-leg jeans, a tailored jacket and amazing accessories.

I'm thinking I will try to recreate the maxi dress with leather jacket. I have some to chose from and here's how I've worn them. 
 






I'm also thinking of working in the jumpsuit below. Add a black t-neck over the top to create a two-piece look and add leather jacket for layers.


A look back on how I wore it in Vegas.

 

What are your thoughts in dressing for this occasion? Would you match your attire to meet the theme? Is BOHO a continued fashion statement or one that ended in an era long ago? Let's chat!

Happy Monday!

Images one and two from Babble.com.
Image three from Posh 24.
Image four from The Huffington Post.

1 comment:

Sarah with a Bow said...

I'm so bad about styling something from my closet to fit a theme. Any theme. Haha. Rachel Zoe is GREAT inspiration for some classy looks, by the way. (: