Friday, February 22, 2013

Anchors Aweigh

Have you ever seen the film Anchors Aweigh? Actually, it's a movie musical starring Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Kathryn Grayson. I love it! Set in the 1940s, two sailors are on leave in Hollywood. One wants to spend time with his girl, the other just wants to meet a girl. Guess who's who...  Along comes Kathryn Grayson, who's character is an aunt to a little boy who wants to run away to join the navy. And, the girl that both men want. Very long story later, Gene Kelly's character falls in love with Grayson and they make movie history. I just adore this movie!

What I adore even more are the costumes. Grayson's character, Aunt Susan, wears some of the most amazing pieces for that time period. Aside from vintage stores, you would be hard pressed to find such iconic pieces today. Until now! Enter, Modcloth. Have you heard of Modcloth? No? Well, allow me to introduce you. Modcloth is an e-tailer that specializes in vintage inspired clothing, as well as actual vintage pieces to boot.

I have to admit, I've been a frequent browser of the site, but I've never actually made a purchase. It's not that I haven't wanted to. It's that the items sell out so quickly that I haven't had a chance to purchase something. I'm hoping that changes soon because today, something grabbed my attention and pulled me to their site. (Don't ask me what it was as I can't remember.) I'm so glad it did. Their nautical collection is adorable and so on par with Anchors Aweigh!

I have been taking vacations in my mind and planning wardrobes around them. I've thought about past trips to southern California and the beaches of the Outer Banks. How wonderful each coast is! Your surrounded by sandy beaches, ocean air, crashing waves and relaxation! And now I have the perfect wardrobe to pack!

Seriously, could they feed more into my love of stripes? These dresses are darling! Flats, flipflops, Gladiators and tennies would be a perfect match!


These tops would be darling with my beloved boyfriends but they would also be super cute with my new mint skinnies! Oh the possibilities!


These dresses are so reminiscent of Lucille Ball, June Cleaver and Charlotte York-Goldenblatt. I adore the patterns, the cuts, the simplicity and the amazing details. I could seriously order every single one. Oh, except the darling strapless one because...it's sold out! See, I told you!

 
 
 


I adore these full skirts! Such a far cry from the mini that's been on trend for so many seasons and I'm so thankful! I am not one for a mini because 1) they just aren't me and 2) they aren't really work appropriate. These, however, would look darling with a white tee and denim jacket. I would also pair them with a crisp, white button down and fun jewels. 
 



Now that I've turned you onto Modcloth, what would you purchase? I would love to style every single piece, if given the opportunity! Since that's a long shot, I will have to narrow down my pieces and ask myself, "What would Aunt Susan do?" Hello summer vacay!

No comments: