Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thanksgiving - The Forgotten Holiday


For those of you who know me, you know how I love to decorate for the holidays! Starting with Halloween, my house changes almost monthly until Easter! As I started taking down my Halloween decor this weekend, I updated my Facebook status informing all that I was moving on to Thanksgiving. Afterward, I received a request to blog about holiday decorating so I took some photos the other night.

I refuse to decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving. Sandwiched between Halloween and Christmas, Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday. It's the day in which my husband proposed to me, so it's an even more meaningful holiday in my house! I don't go overboard, I leave that for Christmas and Hanukkah, but I do put a few things out here and there. 

This my dining room table display. Our dining room table that never gets used unless it's for decorations or desserts at parties. We dine at my parents for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but we don't use their dining room table either. I guess you could say we are pretty informal people! Anyway, I usually go the same route every year. I add a mix of gourds to my Cornucopia, and when I can find it, dried corn. I love my little Pilgrims, purchased by my hubs, and corn cob candles. A sweet little display for giving thanks!


This little table is by our front door. It is constantly evolving from season to season or just month to month. The wheat sheave was made by my dad for my wedding. We had wheat sheaves placed on several tables such as our gift table and our well wishes table. We didn't have a guest book. We asked our guests to write wishes or sentiments instead of signing a book. Each had such meaning. This sheath moves around my living but generally lives here.
 

This stand is unbelievably useful. It also has a glass hurricane lid. I use it for DIY displays such as this one below. I simply placed three candles in the center of the stand and put the fall garland around the grouping. I added several plastic acorns through out. The acorns and fall garland were purchased at Michael's and they were super inexpensive. With just a few little pieces, you too can have a small display for your table! 


 
Below are just tiny clay pumpkins. A set of three that I think my mom gave me. They too travel from room to room every fall. Sometimes they sit on the window in my kitchen. But this year I decided to scatter them among photos in our living room. Little touches make such a difference!

 Side note: What I have learned about decorating is that when grouping things together, do so in odd numbers. And, every room should have something black whether it be a table, a pillow or a throw.




Lastly, this is our kitchen table. A brand new table as of March. We updated our kitchen back in the spring and this was the final piece purchased. It is a pretty large table, larger than our old one, so I needed something to help break up the space. I stole the canister idea from Khloe Kardashian's kitchen. She has large glass crocks on her kitchen counters and they are filled with cookies and other treats. I purchased the two in the back from Home Goods and had the front canister in the basement. I fill them with candy and other goodies based on the season.


Fall colored M&M's, Brach's Pumpkins and leftover Halloween candy make pretty fall accents. The candles were purchased from Williams Sonoma several years ago. I think they bring out the color of the candies!


I'm not an interior decorator. I know this! But, I try to make my house feel homey by adding pieces that mean something to us which in turn makes a house a home. And, you don't have to spend a lot of money when decorating seasonally. Shop the sales at the end of the season. You can get things from 50-70 percent off. Browse through magazines for ideas. Martha Stewart, Real Simple, Better Homes and Gardens, and Celebrate Magazine are all good resources for easy ideas. 

So, reader's poll. Do you guys like reading about stuff like this? Boring, useful or just a plain waste of blogging? Let me know! If you like it, well then bring on December! My house explodes with Christmas and Hanukkah! Until then....

No comments: