Thursday, November 15, 2012

Correspondence


Remember when the only form of communication was written? I am probably aging myself, but that's how we used to correspond in the old days. And by old days, I'm talking about even the early 1990's! Shoot, I didn't have AOL dial up until roughly 2000 or so. Again, aging myself.

My grandmother, Meme as I call her, called me on my birthday and by the end of the conversation I was in tears. Not because of how the call went but because I felt so guilty for not reaching out to her more. Hence number 28 on the list of 40 before 40. She is 85 and living in assisted living in East Tennessee. She sounds incredibly happy when describing all the things she does within the facility. She sings in their choir, attends their dances and other activities that they have on the calendar. And family who lives close by stop in often to make sure she has everything she needs.

To make a very long story short, I decided right after I hung up the phone that I needed to make a better effort of sending her cards and letters. When my dad talks with her, she usually asks about me but always about McKinley, so in my letters I plan to keep her up to date on all of his happenings and send photos of his adventures. 

But she's not the only one that I need stay in contact with so I purchased some beautiful cards from Hallmark earlier this week. Their Signature collection is gorgeous and I could have browsed the section all day! Instead, I opted for these three. Aren't the lovely?


To help keep writers cramp at bay, everyone needs fancy pens! And to keep my thoughts flowing, I am armed with a tasty fall beverage!


I also pulled out notecards that I've collected over the years. Some were gifts, thanks Carolyn, others just acquired.


 

Now matter how you look at it, antiquated or thoughtful, who doesn't love to open their mailbox and find something other than bills? I know I do so I'm hoping to grace others mailboxes with little notes of love and friendship!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love this - especially in this digital age. Handwritten notes are so few and far between now and, I think, always so appreciated by the recipient! Makes me want to do the same thing! :)