Thursday, November 8, 2012

Forty Before the Big 4-0

I turned 39 last weekend and I honestly can't believe it. I mean, when I was younger 40 sounded so old! My parents were old! And poor McKinley will definitely know that his parents are really old! However, I have decided 40 is not that old! If anything, I think 40 is the new 30. Who's with me? 

My 39th Birthday
As I look back on my last 38 years, and I don't want to sound terribly conceited, but I've done a lot of things. I've traveled the country, seen the Red Woods, been to Mexico and Jamaica so I can officially say I've been out of the country, I've moved A LOT, had several ear piercings that have since closed up, graduated from college, learned how to drive a stick shift and drove one for years. I learned to swim and was a lifeguard for five years. I've seen the ocean on both coasts.
 
With my Great Grandfather in 1974

Christmas in 1974 and 1976

 

Estes Park,  CO in 1984
 
Me and My Dad

My 18th Birthday. Elizabeth turned one!
   I've attended a few, okay numerous concerts in my day. I've seen Michael Jackson, U2 twice, The Eagles, The Police, Garth Brooks, Jimmy Buffett, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Elton John and most recently Madonna. I have performed with some extremely talented friends around the metro in several Community Theater productions and I've been honored to play some amazing roles. I got married and will celebrate 10 years with my hubby tomorrow! Oh, and I gave birth! 


November 9, 2002


Me and McKinley April 6, 2011
 The list goes on, but there are plenty of things I haven't done. Hence the 40 before 40. This was a hard list to compile. Some may sound superficial and some are just things I've always wanted to do. They may not sound life changing, or significant in anyway, but that's okay. Again, they are just things that I would like to experience in my life so why not get a jump on them!


I will blog about my forty items over the course of the year and I will try to incorporate the fashion side of my blog as well. I hope you follow along.
My list of "Forty Before the Big 4-0"!

1) Travel to Italy with my family. This may not be accomplished by the time I turn 40, but should be planned and booked for travel in 2014!
2) Attend a Blogger Conference. Preferably, the Lucky FABB conference.
3) Attend New York Fashion Week in the Fall
4) Go to the San Diego Zoo
5) Attend a Cardinal game at the new Busch Stadium 
(Overall bucket list is to attend all major league baseball stadiums.)
6) Can homemade Apple Butter
7) Make homemade bread
8) Make a pie crust from scratch
9) Learn to crochet and actually make something
10) Learn to use my sewing machine
11) Learn to make a pattern
12) Design my own piece of clothing and sew it
13) Get back in the gym
14) Lose remaining baby weight
15) Go to the St. Louis Zoo
16) Attend a roller derby
17) Finish my fifth beer tour at Old Chicago
18) Make pasta from scratch
19) Perform with my parents in a public setting
20) Attend Synagog with Joel
21) Attend a hockey game
22) Style one person for an event and blog about it
23) Refrain from using the F word so much
24) Eat at Town Topic - during the day
25) Get a facial
26) Get a spray tan - a real one 
(Not the kind Julie and I got during West Side Story)
27) Make a will
28) Correspond more by written mail
29) Ride a bike - again
30) Go to Powell Gardens
31) Take a ballet class to see if I've still got it
32) Read Anna Karenina
33) Read the newspaper more
34) Get a passport - See #1
35) Try caviar
36) Drink a martini at a fancy bar
37) Drink a glass of Dom Perignon
38) Plant a garden
39) Spend more time with girlfriends
40) Perform in a show 
That's it. Not sure if I can accomplish everything on the list but I am certainly going to try! I hope you stick around to take this journey with me. Should be fun...

1 comment:

Tina Morrison said...

I don't know how I missed this post! Just read it and I love it. You have a nice mix of things. Good luck!
- Tina