Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Read On...

When McKinley was just a few months old, I would read to him after his early morning feeding. There we sat. Bottle finished, lights super low and a small book being read in a soft whisper. We transitioned to soft books. You know, the kind that crinkle under his touch or have animals on each page with different textures. I remember traveling back from VA a couple of years ago and McKinley needed some major distracting outside the Kansas City limits. I handed him a crinkle book and boy did he ever "read" that book! I apologized to my husband for the major distraction it was causing, being the driver and all, and he said it wasn't an issue. Anything to keep our sweet boys attention off the last leg of the trip.

 We then moved to reading to him whenever possible. It was easy to read to him then since all he did was lay there! We would read day and night or in the car to keep occupied. Books were placed on his high chair tray and he read while we fed him. We were constantly reading in hopes that eventually he would want us to read. Books were purchased for our first Easter Basket, first Halloween bucket, during Hanukkah and placed under the tree from Santa. Books, books and more books...



Now a days, we are actually into books. It took us a while, but we got there. When he became mobile it was hard to sit with him and read. So that meant reading to McKinley while has he played or was in my general vicinity. I've been purchasing a Little Golden Book at almost every grocery store run and he has quite the collection. He has books of mine from childhood and books that were my dads. The library is vast. However, he is fixated on one collection, the Elmo lost puppy series I purchased at Target in their dollar bin! There is "The Community Center", "The Supermarket", "The Doctor's Office" and "The Post Office". We read "The Community Center" daily! He will bring us a book, hand it to us and then reach his little arms up to sit on our laps. I cherish every moment spent in my lap! 





What I think I love most is when he sits down alone and reads. He looks the pictures over and flips pages until he reaches the end. Adorable to watch and makes me hopeful this is a trend for life! I can't wait until he can read to us, but I am not about to rush this amazing stage. Read on!
 


No comments: