Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Jewelry DIY

Several years ago I had my own jewelry business called Shoe Girl Designs. Being a huge shoe girl it made sense to call my business that, right? I had a booth at the local fall arts and craft show for a couple of years and a local boutique featured my pieces in her store. I also held parties in my home. It wasn't a super successful business, but it was profitable. I really enjoyed making jewelry. I found it to be a wonderful creative outlet and I was pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. 

I closed my business in 2009. I found I was repairing pieces, that weren't mine, more than actually making pieces for people to buy. Because I love jewelry so much, I became a rep for Silpada, but I missed making pieces that were unique. 

About a month ago my mom asked if I had any anything left over, which I do, for a birthday gift for a dear friend of hers. I didn't have anything that really said "Blue Gotham" so I pulled out the ole jewelry making kit and made a one-of-a-kind necklace. My mom loved it, and so did Blue. And thus the flood gates opened.

I've been making a piece here and there over the last week or so. My mom and I stopped at Joann's last weekend for a different project and wound up in the jewelry making section. I found a few DIY projects in a fall magazine that I want to attempt and my mom happened to find some beads she liked. I had some time, alone I might add, to whip up a few things. Below is one of the necklaces I created. Along the way, I documented the process. Hope you enjoy!







The end result!


No comments: