Tuesday, August 21, 2012

McKinley's Got Style

When I was pregnant, and even before I was, I always said that I didn't care what the sex of the baby was just as long as everything was okay. Even after I got pregnant, I said the same thing and truly meant it. Deep down, however, I thought I really wanted a girl. You know, a little girl to play dress up with and put in frilly little outfits. 

We didn't find out the sex of our baby. It didn't matter one way or the other. And, we wanted it to be a surprise after nine months of anticipation. I had, what you may call, a mother's instinct because I knew all along we were having a boy. I never doubted it. And, on April 6, 2011, after nine plus hours of labor, a baby boy popped out and I haven't looked back.

And even though we have a beautiful baby boy, every parent is allowed to be biased in this department, I still play dress up! However, I can't stand little boys clothes no matter how much they have improved over the years! Look, I get it. Dressing little girls is where its at in the money making industry, but I for one love dressing my little boy in things other than trucks, dinosaurs and sports! Come on! I want khaki pants, button downs, sweater vests, elbow patches and polo shirts. I don't want skulls, crossbones and "Daddy's Little Quarterback". Yes, we have play clothes that sport some of this; a few puppies, "Mommy's Little Rock Star" (we are very pro arts), airplanes and zoo animals. But, we don't have a lot of it and they are only worn during playtime. What we do have a lot of is designer; Marc Jacobs, Joe's Jeans, Polo, Nautica and Toms. And major retailers such as Gap, Target, Oshkosh and H&M. And I'm not going to apologize for it.

Lately, I've had the idea that I need to start my own line of boys clothing. That way I get what I want, in the designs I want, and in the material I want. For example, I saw an adorable heather, gray pull over sweater at Target the other day. After I picked it up it immediately went back on the rack. Donning a royal blue skull and crossed guitars is something McKinley isn't going to be doing! 

With all the being said, I have been able to dress him in the pieces I want, however it is tedious trying to find them. Here is a look back over the past year at some of my favorites. I can't believe how little he was!!! 


Sweater and pants H&M


Joe's Jeans and Toms Shoes


Polo Shirt and H&M Shorts
 
Cap Baby Gap

For those of you mothers with baby boys, what do you think of the selection? Are you willing to compromise?

No comments: