Friday, February 26, 2016

The Big Reveal...My Home Office


Here it is! My home office! I completed it this week, with my dad's help, and I love it! I've been working in the space for a little over a week, but I wanted to hang a few things before I showed you all the final product. I think it's perfection. Keep reading to get all the details on how I pulled this space together.


As you know, this is what the space looked like before I got started. I loved this space, for it's original purpose, but I needed a place to call my own. A space where my laptop wasn't always on my lap. Where I wasn't using my coffee table as my daily desk top. I place where I felt like I was a little more organized while still being a part of the daily family grind.


I was inspired by this HomeGoods Instagram photo when I starting thinking about my initial design scheme. I loved the mix of colors and eclectic design. I started my search at our local, and favorite, antique store, but never really found what I was looking for. We went to a couple of other local places, but again nothing screamed "take me home." My first purchase was the black writing desk from Target. I blogged about it in my original Wednesday Wants and it was honestly the best fit!

My mom and I actually got the bulk of the room from HomeGoods. After we had the desk, I knew I wanted to add fun pops of color to contrast against the black. I literally set up a space in the aisles of HomeGoods and loved getting feedback from others who passed by. It was all very favorable. I was heading in the right direction! Yellow and gray is one of my favorite color combos and the touch of blue just pulled it all together. 

My dad was the painter. He insisted. I told him I would help, but he said it was a small space and a one person job. I let him do it. I wasn't going to argue. I love the color. It's Winter Solstice from Benjamin Moore and I find it to be such a soothing shade of gray. 


As for the accents on the desk, I didn't want a lot. It's not a huge space to begin with, but I wanted to make it personal. A letter "A" for obvious reasons, a sweet reminder of needing daily glitz from my friend Julie, a candy dish for moments of weakness, a coaster, and fun pens in a cute holder rounds it out.

     

The knobs that came with the desk were perfectly fine, a brushed nickel that goes with the rest of the room, but I wanted something a little more me. I went with vintage inspired crystal knobs and they are simply divine! The yellow cabinet is actually my parents, a piece I have coveted for years, and when they couldn't make it fit in their house, I basically stole it from their basement! It's the perfect place to hide all my clutter. Printer paper, extra catalogs, and other work necessities all fit neatly behind closed doors. And, the rustic piece is lovely!

 
 
In addition to the mirror, a style I've always admired, I knew I wanted to add a few extras to the wall. I decided to frame my first catalog with the company. I wanted something to remind of where I started.


And lastly, my daily motivation! Who doesn't need a little something to keep them going in the right direction, even if they feel as though they are running off track! This saying resounds with me. In taking my Leap, I believed I could, so I did! 


And there you have it! My home office. What do you think? Did I nail it? I totally believe I did! It's everything I thought it could be and more. I'm happy here. I feel motivated to work from here daily. And I find I could stay here long past the time I need to take McKinley to school or head to bed at the end of the night. I've finally found my space!

It's Friday!! We have another full weekend and I can't wait to get started. I hope you all have a fashionable weekend that brings you joy!

See back here on Monday!
Muah!

No comments: