Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Wants - A Home Office

I am trying to start a business. I'm not sure I've really talked about it here, but about a month ago I signed up to be a Stylist with Stella & Dot. It's the perfect business for me at this point in my life. I want to work, need to work, but I don't want to work in an office building where I'm there 8:00-5:00. I want to set my own hours, work when I want to work/can work, and make money while doing so. With Stella & Dot, you do just that. And, within the two months, I've been fairly successful. At least in my eyes I have.

But one can't really have a business without a space to conduct it. I could work out of a coffee shop while McKinley's in school, but that's not really efficient. I would be spending money on coffee when I could have my own brewed coffee at home. And I'm such a people watcher, I would probably spend all my time doing just that! I'm not going to rent space to work in because I'm not at a point where I can spent that kind of money. And, sitting on my couch in the den and working from my wicker coffee table isn't all that great either. It gets the job done for now, but I need a space that I can call mine and spread things out when needed. And, I could really use an office for my blog as well. It's a two fold office!

We don't have an extra bedroom in which I can turn into an office, so I'm thinking of working with a small space in our den. I would still be a part of the day to day life. In sight of McKinley when he needed me, could have on my TV for that background noise I need on a daily basis (I don't really watch it, it's just there for noise), and it's really all the space I need for the time being. 

    

So here's what I'm thinking of doing over here. Taking out the two chairs and bookcase and place those in storage. If we were to ever move, they would be needed in the next house and I love them too much to part with them. I would paint the back wall an accent color like Durango from Benjamin Moore. I've always wanted a gray room and the color would compliment the Antique White we have in the rest of the room. And, I think having an accent wall would help define the space. From there, I would start building the office with furniture that compliments the rest of the room. Here's what I've come up with. I started with the desk as that's the focal part of the office and where most things get accomplished.

 
1/2/3/4/5

I checked out a couple of new interior sites like One Kings Lane and Joss and Main and I like what I saw! I looked at my favorite designs like Mid Century Modern and Shaker, but I also looked at a few glam pieces like number five! I mean, what girl doesn't a full on mirrored writing desk. Oh, and that's what I chose, writing desks. I didn't feel like I needed a huge desk within my small space. I love all of these.
My color pallette will probably run in the reds, but I do love yellow! I've always wanted a gray and yellow room so who knows. These swatches are from Joann's and they're gorgeous!

So what do you think of my ideas? Do you have a home office or looking for a space within your home to create one? Let's go on this journey together! There are so many things to address from here!

No comments: