Monday, July 9, 2012

What I Miss

McKinley turned 15 months old this past weekend, Friday to be exact, and I honestly can't believe how time has flown by! Joel even committed that it hasn't really sunk in that McKinley is ours and that he's waiting for someone to come pick him up. Believe me, he is all ours and we love it! But, there are things that we miss from our life before McKinley.

McKinley 15 Months Old - July 6, 2012

We were that couple. The couple that never stayed home. Off and gone all the time, whether Joel liked it or not. I'm a social butterfly. Always have been. I love to be on-the-go where Joel is pretty much a homebody. I'm hoping that McKinley gets my personality trait so I have someone to run around with all the time. I made mention to that last week, that everyone in the family tends to want to stay home but me, and Joel admitted that he did miss aspects of the on-the-go lifestyle we used to live. He didn't love being gone all the time, but he does miss things like going out to dinner from time to time. I hate admitting that it's challenging to go to dinner these days because McKinley's attention span is that of a gnat! Now that he walks, that's all he wants to do. Most of my friends said our days of going out would stop once we had a baby. Up until about a month ago this wasn't true. Now, it couldn't be more so! Side note: We did go to dinner as a family Saturday night and McKinley was amazing! Stayed seated throughout dinner and was content with all the items I brought with us!

A glimpse at our life before:

Stating the obvious...Las Vegas, NV

Disneyland

Minnehaha Fall, MN

New York, NY - Brooklyn Bridge

 What I miss about life before McKinley are little things. Manicures when I want them. Girl's nights at the last minute. Taking the afternoon on a weekend to organize my closet! Laying around reading a magazine cover to cover. My life has changed but not all that much. Sure, I miss the get up and go lifestyle. Yes, I get antsy from time to time to travel. But then I sit on the rug in McKinley's play area and roll cars around while he laughs. Or I read a book to him while he crawls all over me, and the couch, and its then that I know I am right where I should be! Manicures can wait. Hopefully, my girlfriends know its nothing personal. That closet will never truly be organized so why start now. And trips, we will take them once McKinley gets old enough to enjoy....I hope!

Our life now:

Parent/Tot Swim Lessons

Shedd Aquarium - Chicago, IL

Lincoln Park Zoo - Chicago, IL
McKinley's First Birthday - KC Zoo

 
  I love being a mom. I love our little family of three. My life prior to now was just that, my life. Yes, I am  married and share my life with Joel. But at the same time, I still lived my life with him. Now, my life is McKinley.  Does that sound ridiculous? Do other mothers feel that way? Isn't that why we have children? To life for something that's larger than ourselves. At least that's how I'm choosing to live.

McKinley's First Birthday - KC Zoo

1 comment:

Tina Morrison said...

I so know how you feel and I'm glad you wrote about it! I wouldn't trade my kids for anything but sometimes I wish being able to see friends on the spur of the moment. Everything has be planned out in advance and I miss some things.