Friday, July 13, 2012

Off My Vine

For the last couple of summers, I've planted tomato plants, however I've never really had much success. We got blooms, tiny buds of what appeared to be tomatoes, and then bam, someone (squirrel, bird, bunny) ate them before I ever get to see them in full fruitness.  Well not this year!! A friend of the family gave us two different plants from her own collection and my dad assisted me in the planting. The cherry tomatoes are called Sweet Baby Girl. They are sweet and so cute to look at!


 We started out with plants that looked like this, green little tomatoes that have now turned into gorgeous red goodness!


 And because of this crop of tomatoes, I've decided we need to start our own vegetable garden. STAT! Actually, that's not true. I've wanted to start a garden for a couple of years now after watching Tori and Dean plant a garden for Liam and Stella. Watching their excitement over their home grown goods was so sweet. I have the perfect spot picked out in our yard. It gets plenty of sun, something every garden needs, and its located just to the left of our back door. My great grandparents were farmers and they had an unbelievable garden every year. I think it's important to pass that down to McKinley so that he understands the need of taking care of Mother Earth. Also, I want him to have food that's untainted by pesticides and hormones that are added to foods these days. We give him organic milk, yogurt and I've recently started purchasing organic eggs. Having our own garden is just one more step we can take in his health. (I love you Tori Spelling, but I draw the line at keeping chickens in my yard!)

So with our plump little tomatoes, we decided to grill up some chicken breasts and make huge salads! We added the ingredients below along with Gorgonzola cheese and Greek Vinaigrette. A healthy and filling dinner with tomatoes off my vine! Bon Appetit!



 


No comments: