Monday, October 29, 2012

Pumkpin Cake - A How-To


Isn't this the cutest little cake? We had a chili cook-off at work last week, and as always, I brought dessert! I can't help myself. It's what I do! 

Want to know how to make this darling cake? It is so easy!! Read below for a short how-to!

Gotta bundt pan? Then you are set! Make any cake flavor you want. I made a spice cake because, well, it's fall! 'Tis the season and all.

 

 Tint your icing orange. I just used plain white icing and added Wilton gel color in Orange. A little obvious, I know!


Once you get the desired color, start spreading. I will tell you this. Frosting a bundt cake isn't easy. And, because of the color of the cake, I had to lay it on a little thick. The icing that is! And, swirl the icing as you frost. It gives the pumpkin texture and helps mask the cake color!


Every pumpkin needs a stem. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull this off. Most recipes call for an ice cream cone turned upside down. Let's be honest! I'm not going to buy, nor are you, an entire box of icing cream cones for one pumpkin stem. That's when I remembered I had small Solo cups left over from a party. I cut that in half and voila! I had a pumpkin stem!



One step I didn't photograph was tinting the icing green, but you get the idea! I used Wilton gel color in Leaf Green. This part can get a little messy. Hold the Solo cup from the inside with one hand and ice from the bottom up with the other. Once you have the cup covered, place in center of cake. I saved frosting the top for last.  Just add icing where it looks thin or the red cup is showing.


Next, I filled a piping bag with the icing and used Wilton tip #3. Start from the inside of the cake and work your way out, making curly q's as you go! Those are the veins of the pumpkin.


And that's it! You now have a perfect pumpkin cake. You know what to do next! Slice and eat!

Side Note: If serving this cake at a party, use an orange or black cake stand. Presentation is key! I would have done just that, but it would have been too awkward to transport to work!

No comments: