Friday, November 12, 2010

Three Rainy Day Essentials

I’m not a fan of rainy days. In fact, all I really want to do is curl up on the couch, pop in a movie and huddle under blankets for the remainder of the day. Unfortunately, that was not an option today. Instead, I decided to face this gloomy Friday morning with a little style and some rain essentials. We may not live in Seattle, but the Midwest does see its fair share of rain during the fall months. I’m actually surprised this is the first rainy day in over a month or more. Anyway, to prepare for these days, there are three basic things all women need to arm themselves against the rain, besides an umbrella.


The Trench:


Everyone should have a trench coat in their closet. Any color will do, however, I think the khaki trench is classic. It dates back to the 1850s when Thomas Burberry submitted a design for an army officer raincoat. Since then, Burberry has been synonymous with “the trench”. Actually, a Burberry trench is on my wish list, but until then, my JC Penney Fleet Street will have to do.


One thing to look for in a trench is a removable liner. Mine contains a polyester/fleece lining that’s perfect for fall and winter. Once removed, it’s light enough for those spring and summer showers. I prefer a knee length coat, but they make them in all lengths and styles. Check out sites like Gap, Old Navy and Target for affordable but stylish coats.




Sweater: Banana Republic; Trench: Fleet Street; Jeans: A Pea in a Pod Maternity; Rain Boots: Merona at Target


Rain Boots:


I love my rain boots so much that I now own three pairs! My mom purchased my first pair several years ago and it was about a year before I actually pulled them on. Since then, I have invested in a pair of black with white polka dots and my latest pair which are black with turned down, tartan plaid flannel in cream/red/black. I even went so far as to purchase the fleece inserts for winter. They will help insulate the boots so I can wear them during those snowy days that the Farmers Almanac is predicting for us again this year.


You can spend anywhere between $25 to $500, but I suggest only spending $25. They are the same quality and the only real difference, aside from the designer logo, is that they may already include a fleece liner. I like the option of being able to wear the boots all four seasons. Check out Target, which is where I purchased mine. They carry them in an array of colors and designs. I personally love the navy boots with whales!



My first pair of rain boots purchased by my mom.



My newest rain boots from Target.


Hats:


I love hats! I find them to be an extension of your wardrobe and perfect for fall and winter months! (You will see them on display later in the season as we move into winter.) As for rain, I have two cute hat options. One is made of canvas and piped in patten leather and the other is vinyl with polka dots. These work best for drizzle not down pours so wear with caution. I prefer to not carry an umbrella, its extra bulk and just a nuisance, so the hat works better for me. Don’t look good in hats? That’s okay. Go with the umbrella, but instead of standard black, try one with a punch of color or a fun design.



Sweater: Banana Republic; Trench: Fleet Street; Jeans: A Pea in a Pod Maternity; Rain Boots: Merona at Target; Hat: Ann Taylor Loft


Again, these are my three rainy day essentials. They may not work for everyone, but they get me through the weather. If you’re willing, give one or all a try. Remember, take pics. I love to see what you all put together! 

No comments: