Friday, November 19, 2010

Elizabethan Era in Today's Textures

Fashion is constantly taking a page from history and a couple of my choices this week are no exception. I’m a sucker for detail and the Elizabethan Era is full of just that. Voluminous skirts received assistance from petticoats, exaggerated sleeves were at times in contrasting colors and fabrics, and high necklines that gave a new name to turtlenecks are just a few highlights. Of course during that era, “dress” was according to class. Today, we may not dress according to class but some of us follow the saying “champagne taste on a beer budget.” That’s where I definitely fit in!


Earlier in the week I mentioned my pale, peach sweater when deciding which shadow to apply and now you can see the ensemble in its entirety. I love this little sweater for the neckline alone. The color is simple and goes with most everything in my closet and the fit, even while sporting a baby bump, is still streamlined. I added a white tee for warmth. I was afraid the jackets collar would be overkill with the already extreme collar of the sweater, but I love how it all came together. Neither one overpowered the other and the jacket was perfect the rain/snow shower we received later that day.




Sweater: Anthropolgie; T-Shirt: Target; Pants: Liz Lange Maternity; Jacket: Ann Taylor Loft; Booties: Nicole; Bracelets: Silpada


Today’s jacket was something I coveted in the Nordstrom Annual Sale catalog. I was on their waiting list for about three weeks and so thankful to the person who returned it! The collar is amazing and the little buttons on the back of the jacket are darling. I obviously can’t fasten the hook and eye closures, but I’m not sure I would even if I wasn’t pregnant. The over-the-knee boots add a little sex appeal to a very concealed look. Again, so happy with how it all came together.







Jacket: Hinge; T-neck: Bitten; Jeans: Gap Maternity; Boots: Sam Edelman


When putting this kind of look together, make sure you keep your accessories simple. The details should be the main focus of the outfit. Also, keep your shoes and handbag neutral. Can’t wait to see what history you bring to your next ensemble! 

No comments: