Monday, January 7, 2013

The Three B's



Isn't this the sweetest nursery? We think so. We wanted it to be clean, sweet and not over-the-top nursery in appearance. I really wanted it to blend in with the rest of the house and I truly believe we accomplished that goal. The crib is a family heirloom. My great uncle Douglas was the first child in the family to sleep in it, and subsequently, almost every child on my mom's side of the family has slept in the crib. Including my mom!

My great grandfather purchased this crib used so we believe it to be at least 70 years old. Maybe older. And, it served it purpose for the first six or seven months of McKinley's life. That's when we realized, because it is an antique crib, it doesn't meet industry standards. Now, I'm not one to truly buy into industry standards. Car seats, yes. Cribs, not really. That is until McKinley started jumping in the bed and it was high enough that he could lean over the rail and eventually flip over. Time to invest in a bed that lowered as McKinley continued to grow.

We've had the new crib since February and it is now as low as it will go. However, what it's missing is a child. That's right, our child refuses to sleep in this bed! It hasn't been that way since February. It has, however, been for a little over a month. It's as if he hates the bed. He will sleep everywhere else in the house but not in this bed. He can be sound asleep, but as soon as we place him in the bed, he is up. We've tried the cry it out method, we've tried letting him self-sooth but none of it works. Place him on a palette on the floor of any room in the house, he's out. Place him at the end of our couch, out. Place him in his crib, dying to get out!

I have my theories and it's time to put them to the test. This weekend we transitioned to what I refer to as the three b's....Big Boy Bed! That's right, we are going to take him from crib to a bed! I think he's ready. He is one of those sleepers that sleeps from limb to limb and I think the crib restricts him. He either sleeps flat on his back with arms out to each side and legs in a frog position or flat on his stomach stretched out as far as he can go. Rolling into the sides of the crib wakes him up and then we struggle with getting him back down. Here's hoping this cures our baby sleeping blues!

Join us on our journey as we explore the world of the Big Boy Bed. Below are photos of his new bed. It was in storage when we transitioned the room to his nursery! I even had the bedding stored under a spare bed at my mom's house. I've been prepared for sometime. I just hate admitting my baby boy is growing up! 




So far he seems to like it...

No comments: