Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Year = Closet Organization

What is it about a new year or spring? For me, it lights a huge organizational fire under my tail and this past weekend was no exception. While on vacation, due to the stomach flu that took over my household, I decided to organize while others slept. With my moms help, I was able to accomplish quite a bit! 

My hall closet, or should I say closet that is located along a wall in my living room, houses coats, baskets full of hats, scarves, gloves and the vacuum! The coats aren't usually an issue, unless you call not being able to add any additional coats to the closet an issue, but the shelf that holds the hats, gloves and scarves was out of control! I purchased lined wicker baskets several years ago to house all of those items. It worked for about a month and then I would find myself unbelievably frustrated at the fact that I couldn't find anything that matched. I would reorganize and the same thing would happen about a month later.

I decided that this year I was taking control! I purchased an over the door shoe holder, 3-M hooks so you wouldn't see the brackets on the outside of the door, and I conquered that rats nest of accessories! I so wish I had taken a before shot, but McKinley tried to help me earlier in the week and the pile  made its way onto an ottoman in the living room. You just get the after!


Now, I can literally see every set of hats, gloves and scarves that match AND it's at eye level! No more carrying in the kitchen table chair to try and find what I am looking for! This is amazing!!!


I'm still using the baskets. They now house flat scarves that we don't wear often and all the loose baseball hats that only get worn on game days and weekends, by Joel. I stacked all my winter hats, since I don't wear them as often, but they are still accessible and I know which one is which!


So then I started thinking about my handbags! Again, I purchased baskets to place all of them in, but I was doing the same thing I did in my "hall" closet. I would throw them back up into the closet, maybe making the basket, or I was getting out a step stool to find the one I was looking for...again! I can't afford a complete closet makeover, nor do I have the type of closet that would benefit, so I've been taking ideas from magazines.

 I found this piece at Target and just went for it. Sure, it doesn't fit all of my handbags, but the large ones are easy to see. It was the clutches that were getting lost. AND, I was able to add them all, including the ones in a tub under our spare bed. I can see them all in one place. It's a closet miracle!!!

Before:


And After:
 


This isn't a great photo, as I took it with my phone to share with my mom, but you can see that I recycled the baskets. They now house all of the t-shirts that were piled up in the corner. The bottom are ones I don't wear often and the ones on top are...makes total sense, right? Now, what can I do in my other closet! The ideas are endless at this point!



I feel a huge sense of relief now that these tasks have been completed. I also worked in our den to try and organize McKinley's toys around our everyday living. I made vast improvements there too but nothing worth documenting. It just feels good to get my house in order, although I have a LONG way to go!!

What do you do in the new year to refresh? Is it a closet clean out or a home remolding job? Let's discuss!!

No comments: