Monday, October 26, 2015

The 70s Trend - A Four Part Styling Series

The 70s! What can I say about this fashionable era? I've always been a fan. The flared leg jeans, shaggy vests of fur and other textiles, wild prints, suede anything, and tunic top dresses. And I believe, that because of all of these pieces, it's a style that seems to find it's way back into fashion season after season. It started subtle several years ago when flared legs replaced wide bell-bottoms. Fur vests entered the season the minute Rachel Zoe was photographed wearing one. And this fall, it's full on 70s glamour on every fashion magazine page you turn. 

Because the 70s are back in full force, I began scouring my own closet for ways to incorporate my pieces with possible new ones I've been eyeing. But then I started thinking about actually styling the look. If you go too far with all the trendy pieces out there, you might start looking like a Halloween costume. That's a definite no-no! I immediately knew I wanted to put together a styling series around how to work the trend into everyday looks and keep the trend to specific key pieces

I worked with Halls here in Kansas City, specifically Kelby Stehl their Bridge women's buyer, on this fun project. She is amazing! We walked around The Bridge, looked at all the pieces she had purchased while at market, and talked about why she thinks the 70s play such an inspiration on fashion. Kelby indicated that "fashion is always evolving." There is a nostalgia that comes with the 70s, but this seasons trend is "not an exact replica" of pieces from the past. When I asked her what key pieces she thought one needed to achieve the look, she stated that the number one piece was the flare legged jean. I couldn't agree more. And the big color trend, wine! If I recall, the Pantone color of the year was Marsala, so it sounds like they were right on the pulse of fashion.

 I headed back to Halls for a little styling shopping trip and picked out my favorite key pieces. I stocked up on flares, Marsala toned items, vests, prints, faux fur, and a little faux suede. I wanted to ensure I preserved the integrity of the 70s while keeping it modern and wearable. And, I wanted to style someone other than myself. I didn't want a model. I wanted a real person. My sweet friend Christina Brewer agreed to assist! And is she ever a natural!
(Side note: all other accessories, jewelry, shoes, and handbags are my own.)

I'm kicking off this four part series in one of my favorite looks! The key pieces in this look: flare legged jeans and a cropped faux fur vest. I paired it all with a soft blush blouse that I just adore! I love how it's blousey but still a little fitted. The sleeves are sheer, but still gives you coverage. It's still a nod to the 70s, but the blouse keeps it grounded. I think this look is perfect for brunch with friends, a casual date night, and if you can get away with it, casual Friday (sans hat). These three pieces are all available at Halls The Bridge!  
 
Top: 1.State; Vest: Jack; Jeans: Citizens of Humanity


 



I love mixing prints and textures in my everyday looks. With this ensemble, I went with leopard print heels, a snake skin bag, and the fur vest. Loads of bangles, a statement necklace, and a great hat are additional ways to finish the look. Don't be afraid of accessories! They really are the finishing touch!


All Photos Courtesy of Richard Lawson Photography

No comments: