Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Maternity Take One

As I start to shop for maternity clothes, I have found that I really need to sit down with some of the designers and give them a few fashion tips. Things that come to mind are quality of fabric, length of pants and jeans, and more options in skirts and dresses. Just because we’re pregnant doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice style.


I hit A Pea in a Pod and Motherhood Maternity first and only found fashionable/trendy pieces at A Pea in a Pod. I picked up a pair of Joe’s jeans, which I am so excited about, a pair of Marni skinny jeans that I’ve already sported, a simple sweater dress in black, a classic black cardigan, and a couple pair of cords in chocolate and grey. The quality of fabric for all of these pieces is great, but the length of the cords is in question. I will more than likely need to wear flats or very low heeled shoes. The dress is classic and can be worn all the time. I can vary my shoes between heels and boots, but I would have liked to see different styles and colors available. The only thing I purchased from Motherhood was my Heidi Klum grey, skinny jeans which I’ve worn on several occasions. Again, flats are the only shoe I can wear, but I will try to shove them into a pair of tall, black boots.



top: BCBG Max Azria; jeans: Heidi Klum for Motherhood; flats: Tory Burch



blazer: Ann Taylor Loft; scarf: Ann Taylor; t-shirt: Mossimo; jeans: Liz Lange Maternity; flats: Tory Burch


My next visit was the Liz Lange Maternity grouping in Target. I purchased two pairs of jeans for a more relaxed/weekend look. I like them, but again, only for flats and my Privo tennis shoes. I’ve worn them a couple of times and they really are my weekend go to jeans. My most recent purchase was two pairs of black pants. You get what you pay for! The “dressy” trouser is a very light weight fabric that’s perfect for this time of year, but won’t take me very long into winter. A nice, lightweight wool would be awesome to find. Also, could we get other colors than just black? I would love a pair of gray, camel and chocolate brown. I can’t wear jeans everyday to work! The other pair is a more casual pant that I will also wear to work, and they are a made of a cotton/jersey blend. I found that Liz Lange offers extended lengths that can only be ordered online. I ordered a pair of jeans and another pair of black pants. I will keep you posted on how they work with heels.



dress: Funky People; leather blazer: ELLE Contemporary Collection; tights: Merona; booties: Nicole



dress: Banana Republic; tights: Merona; shoes (not shown): Jessica Simpson


I continue to shop out of closet for items that are non-maternity. I’ve worn sweater dresses that have more of an empire waist, loose tops, baggy sweaters, and the occasion fitted t-neck and t-shirt. I don’t want to look like those pregnant celebs who are constantly wearing form fitted clothing that exaggerates their mid-section. I’m so happy to be pregnant, but not everyone has to see it! I will continue my mission for quality maternity clothes that don’t cost a fortune and will tell you all about my finds. I will also post photos along the way. Stay tuned…

No comments: