Saturday, October 9, 2010

E Fashion Police Challenge

While watching E’s Fashion Police this morning, I was surprised that The Bachelorette’s Ali Fedotowsky was asked to be a member of their panel, in the absence of Giuliana Rancic. I don’t find her to be terribly fashionable and personally, she doesn’t meet my criteria of someone whom I would take fashion advice. During the show, Joan Rivers, George Kotsiopoulos and Kelly Osbourne agreed and disagreed on a majority of the ensembles photographed and I have to say, I agreed with them. As for Ali, anything they liked she didn’t and the same went for the dislikes.


The big shock came when they critiqued Whitney Houston at a Keep a Child Alive benefit. Wearing a modest, black dress, Whitney in my opinion, was dressed appropriately for her age and the benefit in which she was attending. For the most part, the rest of the panel agreed; except for Ali. She then made the most generalized comment that really got under my skin. I quote “I feel like this dress could be seen, sort of at like a wedding in the Midwest, where no one has any fashion.” Really? You’re going to make that bold of a statement about a woman wearing a simple, black dress?


I’m a woman from the Midwest and I personally think I have a sense of fashion. I stay current in my trends, wear designer label clothing and accessories, and generally receive positive feedback on the clothing I wear on a day to day basis. I get the that show pokes fun at some celebrities choices of attire (which I make as well) and I find some of the things Joan says humorous, but no one has taken it upon themselves to categorize the American public in their statements. Show some tact, Ali.


In response to this bold generalization, I have posted several photos of myself from various dressy occasions and casual days around town. Can you tell that I don’t have a stylist and live on either coast? Can you tell that I dress myself and live in Kansas City, a Midwestern city? E Fashion Police, I ask that you take a look as well and if you can’t tell the difference, invite me to be a guest judge on your panel. I would definitely be able to hold my own against your esteemed colleges.







No comments: