Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane

As I watched the kids walk to school this morning, I was reminded of my favorite time of year, back to school shopping! I loved shopping from the school supply list, but my favorite thing was clothes shopping. SHOCKER! My seventh grade year, the first year of middle school, my aunt set up an appointment for my very first personal shopper at The Jones Store. What an experience! I remember it like it was yesterday. A dressing room assigned specifically to me with clothes hanging from every inch of space. I was blessed to have that same experience for both eight and ninth grade as well.


I still remember certain outfits. There was a navy blue skirt and jacket set from Liz Claiborne that was paired with a bright yellow turtleneck. It was accessorized with a large, buffalo plaid, fringed scarf of red, navy and same yellow. Remember the 80s? Scarves were worn either at the waist or around the shoulders. That’s exactly how I wore this one! I loved my khaki skirt and jacket set from Esprit. I paired it with everything, wearing the skirt with sweaters and the jacket with jeans. My favorite item to pair both pieces with was my white button down with red, navy and khaki paisleys. Oh, and then there was the navy and white striped (almost railroad inspired) baggy, cropped pants and matching knee length jacket also from Esprit. I still have the jacket in my closet today! I just couldn’t get rid of it!


The year I turned 13, that same aunt took me on my first trip to NY. It was then that we discovered shopping on Fifth Avenue. Again, I remember those purchased outfits like they were yesterday! Remember United Colors of Benetton? I remember them fondly! I got a great cream, wool argyle dress. It was long sleeved with a turtle neck. There was another wool dress in gray with hot pink and purple argyles. It was sleeveless and I paired it with black and purple turtlenecks, tights and black flat boots. The best piece purchased was a long, denim vest in the length of a dress. I wore it all the time! Again, I still have that piece in my closet. Just another piece I couldn’t part with.


There are so many outfits of my youth that I remember and still have hanging in the closet, or should I say, hanging in one of my parents closets. I even have my homecoming court suit and homecoming/prom dresses, just to name a few. Do you remember any of your clothing from your youth? If so, take a moment to reminisce with me. 

No comments: