Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What if my sneakers were suddenly strappy sandals?

OK, not really. But, as I was cleaning out my closet, a quarterly event in my house, I had this idea about clothes transforming into other types of clothing. See, I ran across a skirt that was purchased on a trip to Southern California in 2009. This said skirt has never been worn and I was just about to toss it when it I gave it a double take, the “What if?” look. I’m sure you know what I mean. It’s what happens when you examine the contents of your closet and see something as one thing but then realize it could be used as another. That’s what happened on this particular day. 


It’s a simple black skirt, long in length and light in fabric, and it was on its way out the door. But suddenly, in the blink of any eye, it transformed itself—what if I wore it strapless, belted it at the waist to reduce the bulk, and paired it with tough thongs for an evening of drinks on the patio? What if I wore the same said skirt as an actual skirt, but with a form-fitted V-neck tee, the same tough thongs, and turquoise jewelry for a Bohemian feel that would make even Mary Kate Olsen take note? I also really liked it as a dress, worn alone with no belt, flowing freely in the evening breeze.







Another example of transforming one piece of clothing into something else is a striped dress I bought several summers ago that’s a tad too short but oh-so-comfy. It looks great for a girl’s night with strappy sandals and modest jewelry. Why should a cotton dress only be worn for evenings out? Tucked into my favorite pair of boyfriend jeans, and paired with Gladiators, this dress is now a comfy, cotton tank top. It can also be paired with dark jeans and cute summer shoes for casual Fridays at work. Dress it up or down with shoes and accessories. You’ve now taken that dress and turned it into three separate looks.







What do you have in your closet that can be worn differently than it was intended? See how much fun fashion can be? Try this with your own wardrobe. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

No comments: