Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Inspired by the 40s

Ever put on that cute little outfit only to take a look in the mirror and see nothing but a costume? My style is often inspired by the ’40s, ’50s, and ’70s. I love how each era shows an evolution of style while still paying homage to the decade before. I’ve been working with more modern pieces to add to these iconic styles to achieve more of a glimpse back in time. But there are times when I’m trying to recreate one of these eras with my ensemble, only to wind up looking like I’m ready to attend a Halloween costume party. Regardless, here’s my latest spin on each decade.


The 1940s


We can easily take a stroll through the ’40s just by scouring the racks of any major retailer today! We’ve brought back the romper and jumpsuit, and I’m so glad we have! The comfort is amazing and I love how easily they hide my physical flaws I’m trying to work out at the gym. Just recently, I sported a romper on a trip to the zoo. Light and airy, roomy and comfortable; I found myself  gliding through the summer heat wit hease. Paired with a neutral pair of brown gladiator sandals, that four-hour jaunt was the perfect afternoon. A bold, floral-print jumpsuit provided great comfort while out and about in Vegas recently. I paired it with my patent leather Jimmy Choos and hammer silver jewels for a put-together-yet-effortless look.



I have to say, I’ve never felt so much like the ’40s than when I slipped on my Anthropologie pantsuit. I added my own modern twist by jazzing it up with silver woven leather pumps, multi strands of pearls and Lucite, a wrist full of fresh water pearl bracelets and fun, white Mod sunglasses. I even went so far as to add the iconic, full-on red lips! Other ’40s-inspired pieces are pencil skirts, fitted blouses and skirts, and a resurgence of the pump. Hallelujah!





There are little things you can do to create a 40s look and obtain that vintage feel without looking like a walking billboard. Try high-waisted jeans or pants with a loose fitted blouse tucked in. Again, this creates that hour glass look. Add accessories to your hairstyle. There are a plethora of headbands available with sequined flowers, feathers and crystals. Bakelite and Lucite jewelry was very popular, much like it is today. Remember, the 40s was a time of empowerment for women. Empower yourself to try a new look.

No comments: