Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Modern Twist on the '50s

The 1950s


As I continue to explore different eras of fashion, I turn my attention to the 1950s. Considered a simpler time for America, the fashion was anything but! Full skirts with crinolines, sweater sets encrusted with jewels or held in place with elaborate sweater clips, and ball gowns made with volumes of tulle or taffeta frequented the social scene. We were later introduced to a more sleek style when Audrey Hepburn sported cigarette capris, ballet-neck tops, and, though I love my high heels, her ballet flats collection became quite the trend.


The most modern twist on ’50s fashion was never more apparent than with Charlotte York-Goldenblatt on Sex and the City. Her character epitomized the look while embellishing it with modern jewels, shoes, and bags. I too love the look of the ’50s. For a wedding shower I attended this summer, I wanted to look feminine, wear something cool for the summer heat, and incorporate a look that read “Ladies Who Lunch”—even though it was a couples’ shower. This dress, with its halter and sweetheart neckline, was a perfect choice. The ruched bodice helped create a thin waist, while the full skirt was very reminiscent of the poodle skirt. It came complete with a cotton crinoline in a contrasting color. Paired with yellow patent leather pumps and sterling silver jewels with Lucite, I felt I was channeling Charlotte and all our ’50s predecessors.




No comments: