Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hippie Chic

The 1970s


I feel a deep tie to the ’70s. Maybe it’s because I was born in the early ’70s, or maybe I just love everything about it. I love the clothes, the music, the politics, and the ever-present need for peace. The only problem I find is that dressing for this particular era can have the costume effect I’ve mentioned earlier. I have to rein myself in and only use one or two pieces to create the “Hippie Chic” look. I love my Seven for All Man Kind bell bottom jeans. They are a thin, light wash denim with just enough flare that they don’t exceed the 2010 flare standard. For a night at the movies, I paired mine with brown, strappy platforms, a cream, crew-neck sleeveless top, and my version of a psychedelic floral scarf. To top if off, I wore brown wooden earrings and a matching bangle.


Tie dye pieces are also great, but you never want the “I did it myself” look. I love the new tie dye tees from Ann Taylor Loft. You get the look of the ’70s, but with a modern, off-the-shoulder look. I recently paired mine with my faded boyfriend jeans and funky print wedges from Target. I loved the mixed patterns within the ensemble and felt a little ’70s-chic.




While running errands over the weekend, I wanted something comfy, airy, and loose to help combat the heat. I reached for my new linen jumpsuit and immediately felt the need for a convertible Volkswagen Super Beatle with groovy tunes blaring from the radio. The crocheted brown belt had traces of macramé, but pairing it with bronze leather flip flops kept it modern. I also love the look of the layered, multi-tonal necklace that is so on trend. Paired with the simple gold disc earrings, the whole ensemble felt hip and chic, and not at all costumey.





There are so many little things you can do to pull a look together and get that vintage feel without looking like a walking billboard. Try adding a scarf to your hair instead of a plastic headband. Junky, turquoise jewelry is also reminiscent of the ’70s. Whatever the era, find those little pieces that make it pop—but don’t go overboard. A little goes along way, baby!

No comments: