Monday, July 8, 2013

Try

 
I started this blog three years ago after attending the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity exhibit. I was inspired by the way women used to dress as opposed to how women dress today. And, after three years, the question still remains: How far have we as women removed ourselves from the ability to dress? We have become a society of throw something on, run out the door, casual. It reads lazy and creates a sense of lack of self-respect.
 
I look around at women of all ages, young girls in their mid teens to women in their 60s, and I'm shocked on almost a daily basis on what women are wearing. What do I see, you ask? The first one that drives me crazy is leggings! I own leggings and I'm not completely opposed to them when worn correctly. What I see are leggings worn with skimpy t-shirts, tank tops and workout tops. I honestly don't want to see leggings paired with any of these three tops. I don't care how fit you are, camel-toe is not at all flattering on anyone! And that's what you're showing when you wear leggings without anything longer than a tee. Want to wear leggings? Great! Pair them with a long tunic and sandals for summer. In the fall and winter, they look darling when paired with a heavy sweater and Equestrian style tall boots.
 
Pajama pants are meant for home. I don't need to see what you wear to bed when I'm at the grocery store, airport, mall or anywhere that's outside your home. Enough said!
 
In the office, casual has become a way of life. My mom has said that our demise in the workplace was the invention of "Casual Friday". I can tell you that my office has become extremely laid back. Jeans are no longer reserved for Friday's, but worn pretty much every day of the week. And they are generally paired with tees and tennis shoes. I occasionally sport a pair of jeans in the middle of the week, however I style them as if I were wearing pants or a skirt. My husband has always said that my jeans don't actually look like jeans. I take that as a huge compliment! I want to look my best on a daily basis even if I'm not feeling or acting my best. As my dad has always said, "try to be one click above". I take that as a general rule!
 
Is it really all that hard to try and look your best everyday? Is it hard to run a comb through your hair, apply a little makeup, iron the clothes you're wearing that day and not put on a shoe that's meant for the gym? I am honestly not the best dresser in the world, and would never claim to be, but I do try. I try every day to look pulled together. I try every day to challenge myself to not just throw my hair in a messy bun or ponytail but to try a new look that may take five extra minutes. Some days I don't feel like putting on stick a of makeup, but I do try to get by with the minimum so I don't look like the walking dead. Even on the weekends, after dressing up all week for work, I try to look my best for my family because I want my husband to look at me in a crowd and be proud to know I'm his wife. And, I've noticed over the last month or so he's the first to tell me how nice I look or that he likes a certain item that I'm wearing. I try to keep him interested because why should he only see me in shorts and tennies!
 
You may find this post superficial and that's fine with me. This is a blog about style after all, and my opinions on style, so take it for what it's worth. I have several female friends who are extremely intelligent, very career oriented and fashionable at the same time. I wouldn't call them superficial. I would say they are trying to be one click above! And what's so wrong with that? What would happen if we all tried being one click above? Try it!

And that's what I'm going to challenge all of you readers with this week. Try, for one week, to be one click above. Try a new hairstyle. Try a new makeup tip. Try to not wear "leggings as pants" as a sweet friend so adequately put it. Try to wear flats or cute sandals instead of your tennis shoes. Just simply try. For one week. I guarantee the results will be worth it. You may just feel better about yourself. You may get a random compliment from someone you don't know. Your husband or significant other may notice and comment. You never know what will happen unless you try! 


No comments: