Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Leg Up...Spring Jean Trend


Blazer: Harold’s; Sweater: Old Navy: Jeans: Ann Taylor Loft: Shoes: Rachel Comy via Anthropologie; Necklace: Banana Republic


Saturday my husband and I had our first date since McKinley was born and I was dying to try out the new wide leg jeans I purchased several months ago in hopes they would fit post pregnancy. As you can see, they do!!! Wide leg pants/jeans are a huge trend for spring and summer and it just so happens that I mentioned these particular jeans back in January.


I tried several different tops until I landed on this look. First, I tried a Bohemian look with a boxy top belted at the waist but I didn’t have the right belt, and to be honest, my waist is not quite ready for belts! I then tried a swing sweater, with a very wide belt, but the bulky sweater paired with the wide leg jeans made me look heavier than I really am. That’s when I decided on the blazer. I’ve said it before…a blazer truly can help create the illusion of a waist. It needs to be a fitted blazer, nothing boxy, and I feel like I accomplished my goal.


That Banana Republic necklace is one of the best purchases I’ve made! I wasn’t sure how the detail of the necklace would look with the eyelet pattern of the blazer, but I really think they compliment one another. Plus, it just adds something to the overall look. The other statement piece is the shoes. I so wish we had captured a full on photo, but you can see a hint of them peeking out of the pant leg. I love the burnt orange pop of color, but what you don’t see is the navy blue and cream color block. Don’t worry, they will be back for future outfits.


Just to be clear, I DID NOT tuck in my sweater. I only did this to show off the high waist of the jean. At some point, again when my waist is a little trimmer, I might tuck in a blouse and add a fun belt, but until then I will leave all tops untucked!


No comments: